pavowren wrote:
> yes, i was over at the jivelite forum and it seems some folks had a
> similar (but not quite mine) situation where they removed the ethernet
> connection, began using wifi and then, jivelite would fail to connect to
> lms.  common solution was re-installation or reset with wifi present.  i
> was about to follow suit but now believe it would be futile in my case.
> as you point out, problem is jivelite's persistence for wifi. even after
> hotspot goes away, it retains the wifi address, so of course, it cannot
> connect.  yes, it should be able to handle the simplest configuration
> where all are co-resident in the same machine!
>
> as for trying out a 'dummy' dns server, i will look into using a local
> router if it can be set up as such.
> otherwise, do you know of a windows10 software that can do this quick
> and dirty?
>
> this old retired brain is getting a real workout, hopefully keeping the
> synapses alive...

Hmm, I always find it hard to follow my advice :-(
I am not a windows user (well, some perhaps, but by no means with any
administrator skills) so I cannot really recommend a dns caching server
for windows with confidence, but I could hint at one that seems to do
what's expected for a simple test:
http://mayakron.altervista.org/wikibase/show.php?id=AcrylicHome
I guess there's a few hours learning curve even for that, but you seem
to have skills so maybe it goes faster for you.

Other solutions to (temporarily) add a dns server to your backbone LAN
would be to install dnsmasq on some *nix based device. Perhaps your NAS
(which I think you mentioned earlier)? That would also open up the
possibility to run dnsmasq as a combined dns/dhcp server on your
backbone which would ease future expansions, such as adding more
devices.
You could probably also install dnsmasq on your PI3B+, but that would
further complicate things I'm afraid (you would need to force dnsmasq to
only listen on etho and not lo or wlan0).

2 Touch, 1 Picoreplayer 4.0.0 on RaspBerry 3B with 7" display
LMS latest nightly on Ubuntu 18.04.1 on Intel Core2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz,
2GB
All wired