mherger wrote:
> > HOWEVER, if it is not already on these lists, perl must be added to
> the
> > list of "Full Disc Access" applications in Security & Privacy
> settings
> > under System Preferences in Catalina.
>
> Hmm... did macOS ask you to do so?
>
> I'm wondering whether my using pre-release versions from the very early
>
> days would show slightly different behaviour. I can't remember this.
>
> Next year we'll likely face bigger issues: there are rumours that the
> next version of macOS will no longer come with Perl installed :-(.
>
> --
>
> Michael

No.  What actually happened is that LMS could no longer access any
folders on the host system as media library targets.  The system gave no
prompts.  The media library just ‘disappeared’ in LMS, as “empty”.

In my LMS implementation, all media and user data except those forced to
the OS drive to run the apps, are kept on an external TB stack.
Including all audio files.

Catalina now finally does that in a virtual sense via further hidden
partitioning of the boot volume into a “Data” drive, where OS user data
is kept.  Under Catalina, the core OS now operates in its own separate
read-only volume.  A protected play pen of sorts.  What I had been
indirectly trying to do for over 20 years.

In the past, the OS has left my external data drive mainly unmolested,
so there was never a library issue before.  But Catalina implements a
more aggressive file access protection/permissions protocol than Mojave.
It now more aggressively limits access to external and removable
drives.  I recalled encountering similar issues with 3rd party backup
apps in Mojave, as they also access the OS volume.  The workaround is to
give the apps full disk access permissions.  Once I was able to get perl
listed with those same permissions, LMS was able to access its external
library targets again.

Catalina is still a little buggy.  It took a couple reboots for the
permissions to finally stick as an automatic setting.

There are some other bugs, such as MPlayer incompatibility, and the
chromecast bridge plugin needs to be manually restarted once LMS is
fully started.  Then it runs fine.  I presume it is a similar delayed
permissions hang.

If Apple drops perl, that will certainly make life harder.