On 21 March 2017 at 07:40, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> wrote:
> On 20.03.2017 23:31, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> Ah, but Kev noted to me that this is using namespaced attributes.
>>
>> We have, traditionally, avoided these, on the basis that nobody (well,
>> almost nobody) understands them.
>>
>> I don't think these are actually required here; a child element will
>> work just as well. Can we do that instead?
>
> While I am aware of the "problem" of prefixes, it was a deliberate
> decision to use them in ISR-SASL2.
>
> First, I don't think they introduce any interoperability issues here,
> since their usage is negotiated by obtaining the ISR key, and they are
> only used between the two immediate endpoints of the XMPP stream.
> Secondly, I think it is more elegant to use the them in this particular
> case. I also was unsure if *not* using them, i.e., putting a child
> element within XEP-0198's <enabled/>, would violate XEP-0198's schema
> (although I think it does not).

I don't think you need to conform to the schema of a base
specification if both sides have agreed to deviate by negotiation,
although we almost always use a distinct namespace, and tacitly assume
our schemas implicitly say any extension elements in another namespace
are permitted anywhere.

> I'd like to continue using them for ISR-SASL2 because I don't think they
> cause any issues.

I think Evgeny's message, and my response, suggests otherwise.

I agree they're a sensible option here from a design perspective, but
I don't think we lose anything with a child element.

Dave.