I don't think that this is necessarily always true. And I always find it
strange to find unimplementable XEPs in experimental (IIRC PAM and FMUC
where or are still examples).

That's why I've been advocating for a long time a new state before
experimental for ProtoXEPs I call 'incubating'. Just like other XEPs, IPR
for them is already handled and they get a canonical URL where a rendered
version of their latest state is available. But unlike (experimental) XEPs,
breaking changes would not require a namespace bump, they don't have a
number assigned and no registry entries are added.

- Florian



On Aug 31, 2017 16:53, "Peter Saint-Andre" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 8/31/17 7:49 AM, Guus der Kinderen wrote:
> >
> >
> > On 31 August 2017 at 15:37, Peter Saint-Andre <[email protected]
> > <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 8/31/17 1:59 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> >     > On 30 August 2017 at 21:32, Daniel Gultsch <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> >     >> 2017-08-30 22:10 GMT+02:00 Paul Schaub <[email protected]
> <mailto:[email protected]>>:
> >     >>> First things first: My intention for submitting JET to the XSF
> inbox was
> >     >>> to get some comments and first feedback in order to discover
> caveats and
> >     >>> pitfalls in the protocol.
> >     >>> By no means I'd consider JET ready to be implemented or accepted
> :D
> >     >>
> >     >> OK. Fair enough. I think what people usually do at this stage is
> >     >> render the XEP themselves, put it up somewhere and show it around
> to
> >     >> get some feedback. That way you don't trigger council action and
> it is
> >     >> way easier to make changes because you don't have to go through
> the
> >     >> editor.
> >     >>
> >     >
> >     > This is getting a bit meta, but the reason I really dislike that is
> >     > that you're asking people to work on protocol stuff outside the IPR
> >     > policy of the XSF. This exposes people implementing, or
> discussing, to
> >     > all sorts of legal shenanigans that are somewhat mitigated by the
> >     > copyright assignment in submission.
> >     >
> >     > If there's something preventing this, we really need to fix it.
> >
> >     There is: the Council blocking publication of XEPs. Publish the
> thing,
> >     get it into XSF processes, and work on the spec in the right way.
> Ship
> >     and iterate!
> >
> > Which has been improved upon greatly in the past few weeks! I'm hoping
> > that we can keep that up, and improve where needed.
>
> I realize people voiced a concern with not being able to develop to the
> spec right away. That's why it's 0.1. Coders aren't stupid, they realize
> that 0.1 means it's early days. If they run into ambiguities, they'll
> provide feedback on the list.
>
> Peter
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Standards mailing list
> Info: https://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
> Unsubscribe: [email protected]
> _______________________________________________
>
>
_______________________________________________
Standards mailing list
Info: https://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards
Unsubscribe: [email protected]
_______________________________________________

Reply via email to