Final chance to comment on rules revision, go to:
http://e-democracy.org/rules
---------------------------------------
While the nay-sayers keep talking about how mass
transit won't work, a very important part of the
equation has not been discussed. Today human beings
are using fossil fuels at the rate of 80 MILLION
BARRELS of oil a day, or 28 BILLION BARRELS a year.

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/oil.html

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/ene_oil_con

http://www.bartleby.com/151/fields/82.html

If we continue to use fossil fuels at this rate, (this
does not include increased usage by Third World
Countries such as China and India), we will delete all
known petroleum reserves of 1,032,132 million barrels
or 1.032 Trillion barrels in 35 to 37 years, well
within the lifetime of a lot of people on this board.
Even if we double the amount of known reserves, say to
2.064 Trillion barrels, and keep usage at the present
level, we will delete most petroleum in 70 to 74
years.

Thus it is critical that we begin to convert our
transportation systems now, when there are funds and
fuels available. Do you really want to own a home in
Eden Prairie and Maplewood, or even further out, when
gas hits the equivalent of $6.00, $7.00 of $10.00 a
gallon or would you rather be able to walk from your
front door to a street-car or light rail system run by
electrcity?

Unless we begin to make a huge shift to a hydrogen
economy, created by wind and other renewables, come 50
to 100 years from now, the societal dislocations will
be so severe we can't even begin to imagine the
consequences today.

Hopefully, I'll be 85 years old driving my hydrogen
powered car with hydrogen created from tap water by my
own wind turbine, but where are the plans?

Dan Dobson
Summit Hill