From: John Birrenbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Nov 10, 2004 10:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [StPaul] Bring The Streetcars Back

Final chance to comment on rules revision, go to:
http://e-democracy.org/rules
---------------------------------------
At 2:18 PM -0600 11/9/04, Andy Driscoll wrote:
>  after William (?) Lowry built Archbishop
>John Ireland's Grand Avenue streetcar line all the way out to the farm
>fields

As I read and re-read this and what I posted yesterday the more and
more I began to realize that what was built for Ireland, by Lowry, is
what started the urban sprawl to begin with, and is the root of the
whole metro area's current transit problems.  We are sprawled out,
not up.

How Ironic that we are now looking at building is the very thing that
allowed communities like Merriam Park to SPRAWL out from the city of
St Paul and Mpls, which in turn eventually caused the very transit
issues we see today.  See how the best laid plans of Mice and Men can
go awry?

Another part of the problem that really needs to be talked about is
the density of population per acre.  It is my general understanding
that those Rail transit systems that work, not only for the consumer
but are also less of a drain on limited tax dollars, are those in
area's of extreme population density.

NY for example.... all those people living in apartments in the HEART
of the city (yea there are commuters, but look at the population
density of residents the vast majority of the systems users).

When you look at some of these cities, you see massive towers, for
MILES, packed with people.  Here we have everyone spread out all over
the place (thanks to planning in the early part of this century).

I look at who is gonna end up paying for the vast majority of this.
I wonder what the rider costs vs the actual costs of setup and
running are going to be.  Anyone know what the costs per passenger
are for the Hiawatha line vs the ticket price?

Is this a totally free ride at the expense of the taxpayers or is
it's costs going to be born, eventually, by the riders?  If it's
going to be paid in total by ridership it seems to me that the
population density of the cities doesn't make that happen, unless
your able to drive and park at some station to ride the train.

If the costs are born by the taxpayers then there is no reason to not
start right now, it's only gonna get more expensive as time goes on.
If it's a free ride for anyone who wants to get on, it would
certainly increase ridership and reduce traffic on a scale never seen
before.

I have to agree with Eric that serious leadership needs to come from
the County, serious money too if they want us to run outside the
city.  At the same time those other communities everyone is so quick
to say the eventual routes will run through need to be involved as
well... we don't need another 35E unconnected in the middle for three
decades do we?

--
Sincerely,
John Birrenbach