<SNIP>

If your UserBean class declares "implements Serializable", this means that UserBean also takes responsibility for saving and restoring the instance variables of the base class as well. If it doesn't, then your UserBean class is broken. The only thing the container should need to do is an "instanceof Serializable" test.

public class UserBean extends ValidatorForm
                                implements Serializable, Collection { // class }

My concreate does. But the container I think sees is as ValidatorForm.... which it tags as not Serializable and throws an exception. I could test by making ActionForm implement Seriazable, see if that "fixes" it.

tia,

.V

The servlet spec requires that a container disallow setting a session
attribute that is not Serializable if you use the <distributable> element
in your web.xml file.  Tomcat implements this behavior, and it should be
portable to any other container that conforms to the spec.