Firstly can I say that the last folks I'd like to enter into a debate with would be you guys.. I've learnt a lot just watching the dev list and seeing how struts has been developed over time, and I'm a fully signed up struts person. The same goes for tomcat.

I'd also like to say that I'll be giving JSTL another go, on your recommendations. But as another punk with a psych degree who cut his gums as a coder doing the insane DHTML that seemed to be in vogue a good few years ago, I just can't see how JSTL is closer to a site builder's mind set than the struts tags.

I imagine that you guys came from more formal programming backgrounds and thus see the world in a particular way, but I have trouble thinking that the syntax of JSTL is closer to the mind-set of a site builder. I'd be interested in any research comparing the readability of the two and seeing which site builders prefer.

<logic:iterate
or
<c:forEach

On the point of the efficiency of forEach over iterate, thats handy to know, but I confess I'm more concerned with writing code for humans rather than compilers.

also the way that you reference properties I think is cleaner with the struts tags.

I tend to use
<jsp:getProperty name="someObj" property="foo" />
 rather than
<bean:write name="someObj" property="foo" />

..but both read better than

<c:out value="${someObj.foo}"/>

if sorry and perhaps I'm missing something but i fail to see what "out" is (well that's not true really true but as a rhetorical point).

<%= someObj.getFoo() %>
<% out.println(someObj.getFoo()); %>

How is the JSTL really any different to these traditional ways of accessing properties? In fact its arguably more confusing. Having If/else in the JSP is also gagging for problems (the same is true of logic tags), if you don't use logic tags (accept for iterate) then you have to do everything in the action servlet before it gets to the jsp.

As i only really use iterate and getProperty anyhow it wont be a huge burdon changng thing around, I like dollar signs in shell scripts and perl, really i do just not html pages.

As I said I'm not really up for a debate, nor would it be sensible, and if this has become the standard then I guess I'll be washed along like the other punks, and if yous are telling me they are huge leaps forward then I'll take it I'm wrong, and I'll move over to them.