Hi John,

I tried some home-made anodising a few years ago, and I also used some pre-formed anodised sheets (with photoresist already applied).  One item I made was an Equation of Time plaque which has been on the south wall of my house for about 4  years and still looks exactly as it did when I put it there.  The surface is a semi-matt silver, with black lettering, embedded into the anodised layer, which everyone told me would fade but hasn't....yet!

The "World Dial" which I made for Heiner Thiessen (http://www.solardials.com/solardials.html) also used pre-anodised aluminium.

Regards,

John D

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Has anyone tried hard anodizing? I used to use tefloned hard anodizing
on 6061 for mechanical parts subject to sliding. It has a duller,
grayer finish. I wonder how it does in the weather. I have regular
anodizing, water sealed, on my 12" (30 cm) bowstring equatorial. Fine
weather resistance, but... The equatorial surface is really a concave
cylindrical mirror, so it's pretty darn bright to the eye from some
norrmal viewing positions. Hard anodizing might be the cure. Anyone
tried it?

For those unfamiliar with hard anodizing, but curious, googling found:
http://www.techplate.com/hard_anodize.htm

Thanks,
John B

Dr J Davis