Hello, Michael,

On 2018-10-24 8:42 a.m., Michael Ossipoff wrote:
The Shadow-Tip method [has] accuracy is greater at lower latitudes.

That's putting it mildly, I think. The method would be OK everywhere around midday or near an equinox but I suspect it's really, really bad if used early or late on a midsummer day at higher latitudes. I'm from 55N, and for that latitude I reckon it could reach as much as 45 degrees off outside of the midday period in summer.

        I've nearly always gotten very good results with [the Altitude
        Watch method], though there are combinations of time-of-year
        and time-of-day when it loses accuracy. Midsummer and roughly
        mid afternoon or morning.

Maybe I've misunderstood, the method but I don't understand why mid-afternoon and mid-morning are the bad times of day. Why is that? I would expect it to be around noon, when the sun's azimuth can change significantly for relatively little change in altitude.

Anyway, your method reminded me of another altitude method -  a Shepard's Dial marked out as a solar compass.  I once made one and it worked pretty well, with a bit of degradation around noon. A Mr. Singleton was the first person I know of to publish the idea.

Steve