When I used the standardly assumed solar altitude at Sunset (-5/6 degree
for the center of the solar disk), I get 45.59 degrees for the summer
maximum error.   …which is almost the same as what you said.

.

A Shephard’s Dial wouldn’t help as a sun-compass. It just gives time if you
know the date, or date if you know the time.

.

Sure, an Altitude-Dial is at its least accurate near noon, but this AW
method, and the TA that it’s based on, are different. The error is 0 at
noon, if you’re using the right EoT and longitude. The altitude (ideally
along with the declination) adjusts h, to get the azimuth from south.

.

The error is max sometime during mid-afternoon because, because it’s 0 at
noon, and because, when the sun is low near sunset,  h is multiplied by a
only a factor, closer to 1, because cos dec * sec Alt is closer to 1 then.

.

AW’s error comes from the fact that it substitutes h and Azimuth for their
sines. When the factor by which sin h is multiplied is closer to 1, the
error from that substitution is smaller.

.

So AW has its greatest error around mid-afternoon, between noon when it’s
0, and near sunset when it’s error is low due to that multiplicative factor
being closer to 1.

.

My favorite sun-compass is the Universal Analemmatic Dial.  Fred Sawyer can
send you an image of that dial’s markings. If you print it out, it serves
as a sun-compass.

.

It tells the Sun’s azimuth at any given lat , date and time. There’s no
need to look at it in direct sunlight, and of course that would be
inadvisable if it’s printed on white paper.

.

Sun-compasses for practical purposes have been built based on it.

.

Tomorrow I’ll comment on the max errors of W and AW at lat 55.

.

Michael Ossipoff