On 01/20/09 12:26, HeavyDuty wrote:
> Seamonkey 1.1.14
> WinXP Pro SP3
> hooked up to a comcast cable bb pipe.
>
> While I have posted a similar question before, there is new
> information from tech support at my e-mail host mcleod
> relating to turning off authentication.
>
> I am still struggling with using seamonkey e-mail client on
> Comcast when sending from my McLeodusa.net accounts. I am
> not a Comcast subscriber but am hooked up while visiting a
> friend.
>
> No matter how I send McLeod smtp e-mail out of seamonkey it
> fails. There is the 10060 error, an error that says smtp
> server mcleodusa is not accepting e-mail, "the greeting
> failed," or an endless repetitive loop of asking for my
> password until I give up.
>
> McLeod tech says that McLeod does not require
> authentication. Apparently comcast does. Does this make sense?
>
> Here's an explanation and fix for the 10060 I found.
>
>> Socket Error # 10060
>> Message from:<a...@a.com> to:<b...@b.com> Connect error in directly sending!
>> Info : Socket Error # 10060
>>
>> Analyse: You are on a an ISP (such as Earthlink or Mindspring) that blocks
>> their users using any SMTP server other than their own.
>>
>> Solutions: To set up Earthlink, Mindspring, or your ISP's SMTP servers for
>> your outgoing email you must click on your account settings in the email
>> client you are using (Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape etc.)
>>
>> In the SMTP (outgoing mail server) field you will enter smtp.earthlink.net
>> (or whatever your dial up or direct access ISP's SMTP server is) as your
>> SMTP server. You must then enter your Earthlink (or your ISP's) username and
>> password for that mail server.
>>
>> In Outlook Express it is at the bottom of that same tab. You must uncheck
>> 'My server requires authentication' and click on 'settings' to enter your
>> Earthlink (or your ISP's) username and password.
>
> I do use the comcast smtp.comcast.net server setting
> I use the required port 587.
> I insert my usneracc...@mcleoduse.net for my smtp e-mail sender

I think you misunderstood here. When connecting to comcast's SMTP server, you'll
never provide your Mcleod user name and/or password.

In order to use Mcleod SMTP server (and therefor your Mcleod user name
and password) you will have to set SeaMonkey's SMTP server to Mcleod's
SMTP server IP address, port, etc.

Now, what the above explanation is telling you (I think) is that comcast
may not allow you to talk to Mcleod's SMTP server while connected to the
Internet via comcast's network. I don't know if comcast has such a restriction,
so you may want to verify that before going too much further.

If Mcleod wants you to talk to their SMTP server using port 25, and
comcast blocks outgoing port 25, I don't know what you can do about
it. Talk to Mcleod and let them know that port 25 is blocked by your
(temporary) ISP, and is there any other way you can connect to their
SMTP server. They may be able to give you alternate connection
instructions.