On 01/20/09 15:09, HeavyDuty wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>> On 01/20/09 12:26, HeavyDuty wrote:
>>> Seamonkey 1.1.14
>>> WinXP Pro SP3
>>> hooked up to a comcast cable bb pipe.
>>>
>>> While I have posted a similar question before, there is new
>>> information from tech support at my e-mail host mcleod
>>> relating to turning off authentication.
>>>
>>> I am still struggling with using seamonkey e-mail client on
>>> Comcast when sending from my McLeodusa.net accounts. I am
>>> not a Comcast subscriber but am hooked up while visiting a
>>> friend.
>>>
>>> No matter how I send McLeod smtp e-mail out of seamonkey it
>>> fails. There is the 10060 error, an error that says smtp
>>> server mcleodusa is not accepting e-mail, "the greeting
>>> failed," or an endless repetitive loop of asking for my
>>> password until I give up.
>>>
>>> McLeod tech says that McLeod does not require
>>> authentication. Apparently comcast does. Does this make sense?
>>>
>>> Here's an explanation and fix for the 10060 I found.

>>> I do use the comcast smtp.comcast.net server setting
>>> I use the required port 587.
>>> I insert my usneracc...@mcleoduse.net for my smtp e-mail sender
>

> Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful response.
>

>> I think you misunderstood here. When connecting to comcast's SMTP server,
>> you'll
>> never provide your Mcleod user name and/or password.
>

> If that is the case, how is that I can send earthlink e-mail
> accounts using the smtpauth.earthlink.net server address
> while using the Comcast cable?

Because (it seems) earthlink is allowing it. Let's assume you're connected
via comcast. If you want to point your SMTP client (SeaMonkey) to Earthlink's
SMTP server, you need to get past two things:

1. Comcast has to allow your outgoing connection.
2. Earthlink has to allow your incoming connection (from comcast's network).

Some ISPs (I don't know if comcast does this) can block the standard SMTP
port (25). However, if you can talk to your non-Comcast SMTP server on
a different port, you can probably get around this.

Number 2 can also be done. You have to work with the SMTP provider and
see what they will allow (different ports, authentication, etc.).

>> In order to use Mcleod SMTP server (and therefor your Mcleod user name
>> and password) you will have to set SeaMonkey's SMTP server to Mcleod's
>> SMTP server IP address, port, etc.
>
> Yes. And I have so done (many time with many variations.
> None of which work (yet). That's the problem.
>>
>> Now, what the above explanation is telling you (I think) is that comcast
>> may not allow you to talk to Mcleod's SMTP server while connected to the
>> Internet via comcast's network. I don't know if comcast has such a
>> restriction,
>> so you may want to verify that before going too much further.
>
> "Chatting"  with Comcast tech support on line is an act of
> frustration. It, of course, as Peter Potomus has repeatedly
> noted, the techs only script is related to Outlook Express
> and IE. The techs have NO IDEA about settings for any other
> e-mail provider besides Comcast. Bottom line is that I
> cannot get a straight story out of them regarding McLeod (or
> any other e-mail provider)..

If that's the case, can you use Outlook Express in the short term,
just to get it working. Once you get it working, it should be simple
to apply any settings to your SeaMonkey client and make it work as
well. I only suggest this because it may be easier to get help from
them if you're using their accepted client.

>> If Mcleod wants you to talk to their SMTP server using port 25, and
>> comcast blocks outgoing port 25, I don't know what you can do about
>> it. Talk to Mcleod and let them know that port 25 is blocked by your
>> (temporary) ISP, and is there any other way you can connect to their
>> SMTP server. They may be able to give you alternate connection
>> instructions.
>>

> I will check with McLeod about another port and other settings.
> Based on previous contacts with McLeod, the Comcast support
> web page and the article I quote above, I need to turn off
> authentication, but still send my user name. The above
> article describes how this is done in Outlook Express. How
> is this done in Seamonkey? I fully understand that this
> might not change my circumstance because of Comcast
> policies, still I need to try it to eliminate it as a
> stumbling block. See below my attempts/experiences with this
> disabling.

What I got out of what you were trying to do before was to have
SeaMonkey set to use Comcast's SMTP server and pass your Mcleod
user name and password. I was trying to say that will just never
work.

However, to give you the answer to your question, look in Mail &
Newsgroups Account Settings for the e-mail account, click on
Server Settings in the left-hand tree view, then look in the
Security Settings group box. There is a check box labeled: Use
secure authentication. They are saying to clear it.