Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
System is Win98 se and SM 1.1.14
Recently (since upgrading to 1.1.14) on some web pages I have had
the following:
1) I hover over a #type link internal to the page and a little window
pops up showing a miniaturized contents at the link. Or over the tab
for a covered tab window and see a miniature of the covered window.
2) I hover over a highlighted keyword on the page and a little
advertisement pops up, which usually has link button for 'more info'

The events in 1) don't bother me much the events in 2) do.
Are those ghostly advertisements an indication of some malware that's
taken up residence in my system, or are they Javascripts that have
been included in the web page code?
E.g. on http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.98/util.html
I get an ad hovering over Windows98 and a few other spots.

How can I stop these ghosts?

1. is a built in advanced tooltip. If you want to get rid of it, type in about:config and look for this entry:

browser.tabs.tooltippreview.enable

once found, double click on it and change it to false.

2. has more to do with built in advertising for the website. It can be very annoying. There is a script to get rid of it, but I can't find it right now. Do you have a certain site that has this in it, maybe I can find it that way.

Yeah. third line from the end of my message.
  http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.98/util.html

oh right, I blindly missed that. Anyways, here's the script [I think]. Put this in your stylish [preferred] or userContent.css file:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

.vibrato, .vibrato_ms, .iText, .bbt_w, [class*="adnet"] {color:inherit !important;
background-color:inherit !important;
font-weight:inherit !important;
cursor:text !important;
border:inherit !important;
text-decoration:inherit !important;}

*[id^="feature_"] { display: none; }

Thanks for this interesting tip, Peter.

BTW, where are changes made through about:config stored? I thought it might be user.js but it does not seem to be the case.

--
John Doue