On 3/15/2009 10:41 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Michael Gordon wrote:
>> Rick Merrill replied On 3/15/2009 8:55 AM

>>> closed SM, Whent to IE8, clicked 'make ie default' browser.
>>> opened SM, and it the make default is grayed out and says
>>> "sm is already your default browser' - no change to icons
>>> on the  internet-shortcuts.
>>>
>>> These seem to be different from other shortcuts.
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> A short history here might help locate the problem since I have the same
>> icon display on my Win XP Pro.
>> My HTML document icons were all the same (SeaMonkey) until I tried the
>> former IE7 Beta release for testing display compatibility.  As soon as I
>> installed and opened the IE7 Beta all the HTML type document icons
>> changed to the IE icon.
>>
>> Performing the steps you described should have corrected the problem,
>> but IE still had icon control.
>> Using Windows Explorer from the root folder (C:\ ), and selecting Folder
>> Options and File Types allowed me to change the icons for all HTML
>> document types (HTM, HTML, SHTML, etc.), but the only icon that really
>> changed in Windows Explorer was the .SHTML file type.
>>
>> This is not a big problem for me because I compose HTML documents as
>> both HTML and SHTML for web servers and this quirk makes it real easy to
>> sort and identify file types in a Windows Explorer type display.
>>
>> It seems the problem originated with IE7 and is embedded into the
>> Windows Registry somewhere and that can be hazardous to correct.
>>
>> Michael
>
> folder options was going to be my next advice

Starting at the menu bar on My Computer, I went to [Tools > Folder
Options] and selected the File Types tab.  On the Folder Options window,
I selected the Internet Shortcut entry and then the Advanced button.  On
the Edit File Type window, I selected the Change Button (which was
indeed active).  That allowed me to navigate to the SeaMonkey executable
 (seamonkey.exe), in which the icon is embedded.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>