Martin Feitag wrote:
Rostyslaw Lewyckyj schrieb:
W. Watson wrote:
I've found that my SM mailer will not accept anything over 10M (See
Subject). However, I've recently gotten 18M wmv files from others. I
guess it's all about one's ISP?

Yeah I don't think there's any practical SM limit, it's up to your and
the recipients ISP and any in between systems. However with files that
large you should learn how to break them up into pieces. There's
standard machinery and standards for doing that. You:
encode the pieces  --  UUencode or Yenc
break the file into pieces -- about 1-2MB each
calculate and prepare additiona error correcting pieces
Send the pieces as a series of separate messages.

The recipient:
- collects the pieces.
- If needed uses the error correcting pieces to correct
the main segments.
- decode segments
- rebuilds the original file

yes this ist an ISP limit. Nevertheless, keep in mind that FTP was invented for large file-transfers, not email. People should stop mailing big files but rather upload them somewhere and email a link to the destination.

Are there ftp sites one can upload to? How does one go about sending a file to an FTP site?