Gregory Hicks wrote:
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 05:50:24 -0400
From: David Bernier <david...@videotron.ca>
To: support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: "Address Not Found"  after upgrade

I used Ubuntuzilla (a script program) to upgrade to SeaMonkey 1.1.15 from 1.1.12 .

Now, SeaMonkey 1.1.15 is installed, but no page on the World Wide Web loads. However, Firefox is working fine. Maybe SeaMonkey doesn't know the DNS server
to contact ...

I think I'd need to know how to find the DNS server(s), and how to set up SeaMonkey
so that it knows this.

David:

Does www.sun.com load? www.hp.com? www.ibm.com? If so, then the problem is the OTHER guy's DNS servers. If not...

Actually, Seamonkey doesn't need to know how to access DNS.  That is a
service provided by the OS.

Do you have a file /etc/resolv.conf?  If not, you need to make one.  It
has entries like:

domain example.com
nameserver 12.34.56
nameserver 23.45.67
nameserver 34.56.78

It goes only as far as the Local area network:

da...@david-desktop:/etc$ cat resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.0.1

You will have to find out the IP addresses of the ISP's nameservers
from your ISP.

OK, I can do that.
If you DO have a resolv.conf file, you should check to see if it has
the correct IPs.

If you DO have a resolv.conf with the correct entries, what does a

nslookup www.sun.com

Return?  It should look like this:

metis% nslookup www.sun.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.sun.com
Address:  72.5.124.61

There could be a problem here:

da...@david-desktop:~$ nslookup www.sun.com
Server: 192.168.0.1
Address: 192.168.0.1#53 // Port 53 ??

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.sun.com
Address: 72.5.124.61

If you get an error saying like "...timed out...", then the problem is
your firewall.  You'll need to open port 53 for TCP AND UDP...

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help.

I've subscribed to comp.os.linux.networking , which seems good for someone like me who is used to using Ubuntu, but not configurating files, resolving dependencies, etc.

David Bernier