NoOp wrote:
> On 04/02/2009 06:27 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
>>
>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> OK there is some kind of issue with AVG email scanner. If I disable the
>>> email scanner it works. Odd I have similar configurations on other
>>> computes that work just fine.

>> Well then turn off email scanning, it really a redundant feature and is
>> not necessary.  You don't get a virus just by uploading or downloading a
>> file, it's when you try to open it or run it is when you get infected.
>> The resident virus protection is all you really need as it will detect
>> the virus when you open or run the file, and then prevent it from
>> infecting your machine.  That is if your virus definitions are up to date.
>>
>> - --
>
> Please fix your sig... it's dash dash space --
>
>> Roy Smith
>> Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
>> Remove N O S P A M when replying by email.
>
> Rob is running Windows:
> Gecko/20081204 SeaMonkey/1.1.14
>
> So you might want to revise your statement...
>
> [snip long pgp signature]

Why would I want to revise my statement?  What I said is true regardless
of whatever operating system you're using.  A virus is just a file and
it will not infect a system until it's opened.  Just merely copying,
uploading or downloading it will not activate the virus.  Viruses that
are spread through email are the result of opening the attached virus
infected file, not reading the email itself.