My problem wasn't really Seamonkey, It was with the AVG email scanner, which hung when it got the expired certificate. Seamonkey worked like it was supposed to, even with the expired certificate. I later found out AVG also worked if I turned off TLS in Seamonkey,

Thanks to everyone here helping me figure this out.

Wayne Mery wrote:
Rob, if your situation is not listed, can you update http://kb.mozillazine.org/Folder_being_processed to include your problem and solution?