Giacomo wrote:
The problem was the package manager (I'm using linux) wasn't
installing the plugin in the right place!

I think it was. You were talking about a .deb so I guess you're using either Debian or Ubuntu. Both install all distribution-packaged plugins for Mozilla-based applications to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Distribution-packaged Mozilla-based applications are modified in such a way that they check this location. Standard installations like the official SeaMonkey archives however do not check that location by default, you have to tell them by setting MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH, e.g. by adding this to your .profile:

export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Note: The above is only necessary for current stable Mozilla-based applications. SeaMonkey 2, Firefox 3.5 and Thunderbird 3 will check the above location themselves (Bug 440506).

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>