Benoit Renard wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
The malware is a Firefox extension that (among other things) disables
the ability of Firefox to remove it.

As far as I know, they didn't disable uninstallation. It just isn't possible while using Firefox because it's installed on the application level, and not in the user's profile.

If only that was the case. Please see below.

http://annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600

Snip:
"Unfortunately, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has taken steps to make the removal of this extension particularly difficult - open the Add-ons window in Firefox, and you'll notice the Uninstall button next to their extension is grayed out! Their reasoning, according to Microsoft blogger Brad Abrams, is that the extension needed "support at the machine level in order to enable the feature for all users on the machine," which, of course, is precisely the reason this add-on is bad news for all Firefox users."

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=1716&tag=nl.e011

Snip:
"We added this support at the machine level in order to enable the feature for all users on the machine. Seems reasonable right? Well, turns out that enabling this functionality at the machine level, rather than at the user level means that the “Uninstall” button is grayed out in the Firefox Add-ons menu because standard users are not permitted to uninstall machine-level components."