David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/19/2009 5:17 PM, Dick Baker wrote:
In rebuilding after C: drive crash (FYI: three times in 25 year ain't bad, I suppose, twice caused by misbehaving software, once by lightning strike), SM 1.1.17 (Win XP) is "misbehaving," in that it insists on opening online WAV and MP3 audio files and mpg/mpeg video files "internally," rather than using Windows Media Player, which is my default app for all video & audio files.

Before the rebuild, it properly invoked WMP for those filetypes, as does the same version of SM on my similarly set-up notebook computer.

Why the difference? My notebook shows those three file types in helper apps with the selection "open it using the default application" (which is WMP), but if I try to install them in the new PC install in helper apps, I get "Warning: SM can handle this type internally..." The MozillaZine Knowledge Base says (or at least implies), that only very basic filetypes (standard web graphics formats and text files) are handled inernally [discussing adding new MIME types in Helper Apps]: The actions you add will not affect MIME types that are handled internally, which include certain MIME types such as image/jpeg or text/plain [3] and all MIME types that are handled by plugins [4]. Before adding a new action for such MIME types, a Warning dialog similar to the following will be displayed: [the warning about handling this type internally].

Any suggestions on how I can force SM to use WMP for those audio/video file types?

In some cases, this is not a browser issue.  Instead, it relates to the
sequence in which the applications were installed.

For example, I have both Acrobat (the writer) and Adobe Reader
installed.  For a long time, PDF files on the Web would open in the
writer and not the reader.  In setting up a replacement PC, I installed
Acrobat first and then Adobe Reader.  At that time, the versions of
SeaMonkey, Acrobat, and Adobe Reader were all the same as on the old,
replaced PC.  The problem went away.  I experiemented by removing
Acrobat and Adobe Reader and then reinstalled them, installing Adobe
Reader first and then Acrobat.  The problem reappeared.  I removed just
Adobe Reader and then reinstalled it.  The problem went away.

Thus, in many cases, the last application installed is the one used.

Depends on the choices you make during installation. If you don't tell the Reader to "steal" the setting (who opens PDF files? I do!), or rather, if you tell it not to, the writer will continue to open PDFs. The same goes for other file types. The QuickTime installer lets you specify its file types so that you don't disturb existing settings, or so that you purposely modify them.

The last time I installed Acrobat Reader on a system that already had the full Acrobat program, it prompted me to decide whether the reader should be the default app for PDFs or not. It should've prompted you as well, but if you response was "do as you think best," of course it would've chosen itself.

The programs I have no respect for are the ones (like the Micro$oft series) that steal settings without asking. It's REALLY annoying that every time I run Office Update or update my Office programs through Micro$oft Update, it steals my default email and/or browser setting, and I have to set it back to SeaMonkey. Do these idiots really think they're converting anyone this way? Or is this just their petty way of getting revenge on those of us who have enough of a brain to make choices?

If anyone can tell me which file to lock (make read-only) so M$ can't steal my email/browser settings, I would be eternally grateful.

Paul B. Gallagher