David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/30/2009 8:27 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
Hello, it been a while I vowed never to come back to this forum except to ask a question. I remain true to my vow. I am asking a question

I have a puzzle.

examine this page with SM 1.1.17:

http://villageelectronicsservice.com/VacationSchedule.aspx

Now use: SM 2, FF3.0/3.5, Omniweb, Opera or iCab.

In all of those All-in-ones and Web Browsers The page for me views as it should.

In SM 1.1.17

after the side text is shown then the main text shows about an inch to inch and a half wide.

using the w3c validator, typing the link above shows numerous items needing correction and several warning. yet the other applications appear to load correctly. If you go to any links other than vacation, the pages work even on SM1.1.17.

Anyone have an explanation.

Generally, a rendering engine (the browser's guts that display a Web
page) is programmed to "guess" how to display a page that is buggy.
Different rendering engines might guess differently, depending on how
the programmer decides HTML syntax errors should be handled.

SeaMonkey 1.1.17 gives different results from SeaMonkey 2.x because they
different Gecko engines.  SeaMonkey 2.x uses approximately the same
engine that is used by Firefox 3.x, an engine that guesses differently
from the one used by SeaMonkey 1.1.17.

In my opinion, a browser is not at fault if it displays a buggy Web page
incorrectly, even if other browsers are able to display the page
appropriately.  After all, if you input manure, you should not be
surprised if the output is also manure.

I agree, I knew it wasn't right by running, it through the Validator and coming up with all those errors and warnings.

But I find it curious, that the efforts to be standards compliant was to make it so that if a site was using bad code it wasn't suppose to load. Forcing developer of website to get it right. Yet all the new Browsers whether Gecko or webkit appear to be falling back to an old IE 5 trick of self healing.

It appears only SeaMonkey 1.1.17 is the only one loading it correctly.
mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com