Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Bill Spikowski wrote:
Martin Freitag wrote:
Bill Spikowski schrieb:
I use a couple of "personal address books" to circulate documents to key
colleagues.
This feature is very convenient for me, but after sending these
messages, all of the email addresses then appear in the "to" line, which
upsets many recipients.

Is there a way that the NAMES of the recipients would appear, but not
their email addresses? I used to insert my personal address book into
the "bcc" line, but then my colleagues often ended up forwarding these
messages to others who are already on this list because they have no way
of knowing they had already gotten the original message.

Nope, either you BCC or you don't.
By names only, no other email-program would know what the hell that
should be.
Maybe think about using a mailing-list for that kind of stuff, whoever
wants can subscribe then, noone needs to forwards anything ;-)
regards

Martin

Thanks -- I may go that route.

A good choice.

Here's a clumsy workaround, if you do this rarely enough:

When you're ready to send a broadcast, specify that it should be sent later. Go into Unsent Messages, CTRL-U to reveal the message's source code, and copy the distribution list from the message header.

In a text editor or word processor, strip out all the email addresses (e.g., replace all strings of the form " <*>" with null). Copy/paste the resulting sanitized list.

Return to the unsent message, Edit as New, and paste the sanitized distribution list into the body of the message with a suitable note to the recipients. Send the message, and delete the earlier draft.

A slightly less clumsy workaround would be to save a message to the list as a template (with the distribution list in the body as described above). This would be OK if the list is rarely updated, even if you send lots of broadcasts.

If the distribution list is frequently updated, mailing list software such as Mailman is the way to go.

Why a handful of key colleagues would be upset at other members of the team seeing their email addresses is beyond my comprehension.

These colleagues know each others' e-mail addresses already -- but these
messages often get circulated to others, and then to others....