Bob Fleischer wrote:
My understanding is that the mail files themselves are not changed by the profile conversion process, right?, so if I hide them (by renaming or relocating) from conversion and then restore them to the converted profile everything should be OK?

I'd say so, yes. I'm pretty sure the contents of mail files are not checked but maybe their presence. Thus a possible workaround would be to move all mail files to somewhere else on the same drive (such move operations are very fast and efficient), create empty files of the same names in the original location, migrate, and finally overwrite the migrated files in the new location with the backups.

HTH

Jens