Walter wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Walter wrote:

Where in preferences or elsewhere do I tell SeaMonkey which program to use in opening a particular kind of file, i.e. .jpg, exe, doc, tef, ? I have tried the setting in preferences/helper applications but it makes no difference.

See also Edit | Preferences | Advanced | System...

If that doesn't help, report back with details of what's happening and when and one of the experts will jump in and help.

I am trying to read a .tef file created by TablEdit, a program which creates tablature for musical instruments. There is a special font (tef265.ttf) Which this program uses. It is in my font file. When I click on a .tef file

(http://everythingdulcimer.com/tab/Be_thou_my_vision_DAD.tef)

instead of the notes and tab numbers, question marks are in those positions. If I do a shift/click then SeaMonkey file download manager kicks in and then I can click on launch file and the file is displayed correctly with notes and tab numbers and I can play the song and make adds/changes. This problem has occurred in the past two months whereby it had worked for several years before. I believe I have made a change somewhere but I cannot find it.

Under Preferences/helper applications I have added "application/tef and under "file type details" I have added "open these files with "tabledit.exe" This makes no difference.

If you need further clarification I will try to supply it.

To me, the question marks sound like a font issue, not a program issue. Your system is behaving as if it doesn't have the right font and substituting one it does have, and there are no glyphs at those positions in the font it does have. On my system, which doesn't have that font, SM opens it as a text file and displays in Courier New, so of course I get white question marks in black diamonds.

What happens if you launch TablEdit and open the file directly from there? (just do CTRL-O and paste the URL into the dialog). If it opens fine, SM has a problem and I would look at its font settings (e.g., Edit | Appearance | Fonts | Allow documents to use other fonts); if not, then it's a system-wide problem and not SM's fault.

But I'm just a power user, not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

Paul B. Gallagher