Walter wrote:
Leonidas Jones wrote:
Walter wrote:
Where in preferences or elsewhere do I tell SeaMonkey which program to
use in opening a particular kind of file, i.e. .jpg, exe, doc, tef, ? I
have tried the setting in preferences/helper applications but it makes
no difference.

w.

sm 1.1.18 win xp, sp3

I am assumong that it not behaves as Firefox does.  You can edit
existing entries, but you cannot add them.  Rather, the first time an
unknown file type is encountered, you make a selection which is added to
the list.

Do I understand that you have tried to edit an existing entry, but the
setting doesn't stick?  If so, try setting the file type in question to
always ask, then navigate to such a file type and set it that way.

Lee

To all who posted a reply to my query:

Please read again my original post, quoted above.

Example:  When I click on a link to a .pdf file, SM knows it is a .pdf
file and calls Adobe Reader to read the file.  I want SM to recognize a
.tef file and call tabledit to read the file.  Where is the setting to
do this?  It is not in edit/preferences/helper applications as I have
the .tef files identified there as: application/tef and file type
details as: open these files with tabledit.exe

This is as clear as I can describe the problem.  All suggestions welcome.

Walter.
Have you simply attempted to open the file. Once you open the file then you go to preferences > Browser > helper Applications scroll down the list click on item in right column it turns into a Button . Click on button and choose application to open.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com