On 05/24/2010 12:38 PM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>>>
>>> Basically all extensions that have default preferences and/or
>>> components. All these had to be installed somewhere under the SeaMonkey
>>> application directory.
>>>
>>> You might have chmod'ed your SeaMonkey application directory a long time
>>> ago and have forgotten that you did it.
>>
>> I guess I'm still confused... just switch back to SeaMonkey 1.1.19 to
>> reply. The _only_ thing that I've done to install is to extract the
>> seamonkey-1.1.19.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz to a home folder
>> (/home/seamonkey119) and run it from there:
>>
>> /home/<username>/seamonkey119/./seamonkey -no-remote -mail -browser
>
> In that case you probably did that as your user. Philip and I were
> talking about a global install done by the root user, e.g. under
> /usr/local. With your setup all application files are owned by your user
> so you can of course install any extension.

I was replying to:

>> > With SeaMonkey versions before 2.0 there were extensions that needed to
>> > be installed into the application directory so you needed access to that
>> > directory, which usually meant you needed to be root. Starting with
>> > version 2.0 SeaMonkey uses the same add-on back-end as recent versions
>> > of Firefox which means that you can install all kinds of extensions into
>> > your user profile which does not require special privileges.
> ???
> I've been running SM 1.x from a home folder for a very long time & still
> have the latest 1.1.19 installed & working from a home folder.
> Can you please advise which extensions required root access? Note: not a
> confrontational question, just curious as this is the first I've heard
> of this.

The OP was asking about continuing to install in the /home folder. That
question/response had nothing to do with installing globally.

> BTW: -no-remote does nothing with SeaMonkey version prior to 2.0. Just
> remove it.

I beg to differ; if I have SeaMonkey 2.x running and I start 1.1.19
without the '-no-remote' command all I get is a new browser window in
2.x. However, if I start 1.1.19 using '-no-remote' I get SeaMonkey
1.1.19 running side-by-side to SeaMonkey 2.x. So obviously your
experience differs than mine, but I've been running them side-by-side
for some time and can replicate if you wish.

$ ps -e |grep seamonkey
 2055 ?        00:00:00 seamonkey2 <== SM 2.0.5
 2074 ?        00:09:00 seamonkey-bin
 5339 pts/1    00:00:00 seamonkey <=== SM 1.1.19
 5346 pts/1    00:00:01 seamonkey-bin