NoOp wrote:
On 05/23/2010 02:23 PM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
Rob Lindauer wrote:
The Seamonkey install instructions I've been using (successfully) for a
year or two have me expand the Seamonkey tar/bz2 file into a
subdirectory under home, and manually add an entry in my Gnome/Kde menu,
as opposed to installing via Synaptic/Apt. The rationale as I recall is
that I as nonprivileged user can thereafter add extensions, and no have
to run as root when doing so.

With SeaMonkey versions before 2.0 there were extensions that needed to
be installed into the application directory so you needed access to that
directory, which usually meant you needed to be root. Starting with
version 2.0 SeaMonkey uses the same add-on back-end as recent versions
of Firefox which means that you can install all kinds of extensions into
your user profile which does not require special privileges.

The OP was asking about continuing to install in the /home folder. That
question/response had nothing to do with installing globally.

More specifically, the OP was asking about the rationale behind installing in the home directory as opposed to using the system package management. The latter is always installing globally. I was just saying that before SeaMonkey 2.0, access to the application directory was needed in order to be able to install some kinds of add-ons. With SeaMonkey 2.0 and later, application directory access is only required for updating the application itself. So there are now fewer reasons to go with that approach as before. That's all.

BTW: -no-remote does nothing with SeaMonkey version prior to 2.0. Just
remove it.

I beg to differ

Sure, Stanimir already explained that and I already confirmed his findings. My statement was wrong. Please read Stanimir's posting and my reply to see why (it's really confusing!).

Greetings,

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>