Hartmut Figge wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher:
W3BNR wrote:
Hartmut Figge wrote:

How about trying it out? :-P
"Delete" does exactly that. "Detach" allows you to pick a directory and save the attachment as a file before deleting it from the sent msg.
Thanks, that's much more helpful.

I didn't know it but i tried it out after your question. And i don't
understand, why you haven't tried it yourself.

In the absence of some appealing characteristic, I had no good reason to. "Here's a black box, open it and hope you survive." Who knows what it would do? Who knows if there would be a way back?

My usual routine when receiving an attachment is to save it to the appropriate client directory and work with that copy. If anything goes wrong, I can always export a fresh copy from the email. And when the job is done and the check has cleared, I can delete the job folder with the correspondence, attachments, and everything at my convenience, or hold onto it if that seems wiser.

I suppose there are people out there who want to keep their attachments separate from the cover letters that explain what they are, but I've never seen the point of that. It's not like I'm short of disk space -- it would take a lifetime of downloading pirated movies to fill the space I have. ;-)

Paul B. Gallagher