Thanks for all of the responses.

I'm beginning to think that it may be specific to the austin, tx sat image server.

I duplicated the problem on a different computer running sm... the interesting thing is that the root problem is there but the symptoms are slightly different...

Initially there appeared to be no problem, but selecting a view where the distance index (lower left) showed 2,000 ft, moving the view several ttimes resulted in the same slowdowns until effectively locked up.

second computer;

xppro sp2, sm 1.1.17

seamonkey cpu holds at 98%

somewhat more mouse/cursor control but still slow, jerky

delayed button/command button responses

Will run some more tests.

Beverly Howard