Interviewed by CNN on 04/06/2011 00:14, Jay Garcia told the world:
> On 03.06.2011 20:49, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Actually, Firefox 4 by default auto-updates: when online, it checks
periodically with the Mozilla servers if there's a new minor version or
a patch. If there is one, it will download it and install on next
Firefox restart.

It's a complicated equation. Google auto-updates even major versions of
Chrome. The downside of it is that yes, you are giving them the
privilege to install stuff on your machine. And new major versions might
break compatibility with stuff you need -- for instance, I ran into an
odd problem with Flash ads that only appeared in IE9 (downgrading to IE8
solved the issue), and Firefox 4 is incompatible with the current
version of a (required) plugin used by several Brazilian banks.

The upside? Well...

Some 10-20% of IE users are still using IE6 -- which is *three* major
versions old, and has been superseded by IE7 almost *five years* ago.
That's a very long lingering tail of old versions. Even Microsoft is
concerned.

Things are slightly better on the Mozilla front -- but I still find LOTS
of users using FF 3.6.x (and not always the latest update), a fair
number using FF 3.5, a few using FF 3.0, and now and then one using FF
2. So, there's quite a bunch of old Mozilla around. Not as much or as
old as IE, but still a lot.

Meanwhile, most Chrome users are already using Chrome 11. You will still
find some with Chrome 10, a few with Chrome 9 but hardly anyone with
Chrome 8 -- which was superseded just *four months ago*.(*)

So, auto-update does have its points: it turns over users very quickly
to the latest version.

(*)There's exceptions, of course. The main ones are people who
deliberately turned off auto-updates, and people who installed via MSI
package instead of using the default Google Update installer.
--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Constitution Class Starship.