Rufus wrote:
MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 17/06/2011 10:37, Rufus told the world:

Seriously - I don't care what goes on under the hood. If I can browse
with it on an iPad, it is a "full browser" to/for me. If Apple wants
you to use their rendering engine, then that's just less code you have
to write. The fact that it works differently on a different OS is of no
consequence to me - that's the nature of any platform.

You are entirely missing the point of the Mozilla ecosystem and the
rebirth of browser development. Ten years ago, there were so-called
alternative browsers for Windows that used the preloaded Trident engine
(the one in IE). The thing is, they were as slow as IE, had the same
rendering bugs as IE, the same security vulnerabilities as IE. If
Microsoft had been able back then to forbid Opera and Netscape/Mozilla
from installing alternative browser engines, we would be still stagnated
with prettier versions of IE 6 (they had in fact disbanded the Trident
development team). Meaning: slow Javascript, buggy implementation, poor
extension ecosystem...

Apple is already growing too comfortable with their effective monopoly
of browser engines in iOS: Safari development has been lagging behind
other browsers, despite sharing a lot of code with Chrome.

...so, Microsoft redux...big deal - Apple's turn. They make a product
which suits my desires. So I'll buy it and use it...I don't really care
about much more than that, from a user standpoint.

SM is given away for free...build it for iOS, charge 99 cents, and I
think folks would pay that. But if you're not even up to taking a
chance in the first place, then that your issue - not Apple's.

The point is: you *can't.* Seamonkey is Gecko-based. EVERYTHING in it is
based on Gecko -- the extensions environment, the whole thing. Apple
won't allow Gecko in the App Store.

Again - unwillingness to do the work to bring a product to market. It's
not "impossible", it's not "prohibited"...the SM folks just don't want
to do an iOS implementation of SM functionality. Fine, but a pity.
Atomic gets me half of what I want anyway...I'm pretty sure NewsTap will
get me the rest.

I don't think you understand, it most definitely *is* prohibited, and "don't want" shows completely no grasp of finite resources or the cost of setting up a distribution channel which would work outside the Apple app store, since SM would not be allowed, however done. Apple claims that a choice of products confuses users, or some such. Google for Jobs+competition+confusion or something, I think the speech is on youtube.

I doubt explaining this more clearly will help, your world view seems pretty
set.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have