hawker wrote:
1) I see my 2.0.x still says no update. Will there be a 2.2 auto update
soon?

There will be one but I cannot tell when.

I'm wondering if I should install it or if I should wait for
2.2.1. I usually skip a X.0.0 release so I don't get the bad bugs (did
not do 2.0 until 2.0.4 I think).

You can install it at any time (from the official downloads). The auto update is just a convenience thing, the result will be the same.

You may want to look at the release notes, especially the Known Issues sections, of the 2.1 and 2.2 releases. While 2.1 probably has more compatible add-ons, 2.2 is the latest release and contains some fixes (see the Changes page). It also contains a regression (drag and drop of address book entries doesn't work anymore), though.

And don't wait for 2.2.1. The next version will be 2.3.

2) I'm just curious about versioning. Perhaps I just don't understand
fully what changed. From what I understand 2.1 has a decent number of
changes. It perhaps should have been 2.5 not 2.1. But what I don't
understand is I thought 2.2 was 2.1 with bug fixes. It came out very
fast after 2.1. Why is 2.2 not 2.1.1 or some such? What major changes
under the hood happened?

MCBastos already answered that in detail, I think. ;-) And yes, if I knew this rapid release train was coming, I would probably have voted to call 2.1 2.5 and 2.2 3.0.

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>