Hartmut Figge wrote:

No difference, Hartmut : in safe mode, and with new
profile, exactly the same behaviour -- no effect when
clicking on "Check to see if your plugins are up
to date.  Incidentally, this string (and all those
below,

You could create a test-profile with the profile-manager and try
therein. There is nothing to configure so the waste of time is bearable. ;)

Already tried, Hartmut : see above ("and with new profile").

It may be that you have found a bug in 2.4.1 which is fixed in my 2.8a1.

  in the Add-Ons manager) are not copyable --

You are right. Yuck.

Indeed.  Yuck.  And pointless.

Mhm. I had stopped using SM>  2.0.x for a long time because i was too
unhappy with some changes. *g*

Agreed.  I know that the answer is "absolutely not",
but "Could we please have 2.0.14 with today's security" ?!

Totally unrelated, but Seamonkey is, with increasing
frequency, stalling while displaying (e.g.,) "connecting
to l.addthiscdn.com" (or thumbs2.ebay.com. or wherever),
using 97%+ cpu, and not relinquishing that cpu on hitting
"escape", despite the fact that it claims to have stopped
trying to connect to<wherever>.

Haven't noticed that one. Sounds like a plugin or addon could be
responsible.

Happens in safe mode with new profile, Hartmut ...

** Phil.