Ed Mullen wrote, On 31/12/2012 18:39:
BIll Spikowski wrote:
I'm a longtime Seamonkey user with multiple computers at different
locations.

They all run Windows XP and are set up identically, to open PDF links
in a new tab.

For the past week or two, each computer frequently has the same
problem. Instead of PDF links opening, I get a blank grey screen that
says "Check for updates... Click here to activate plugin." This used
to happen occasionally and could be corrected by closing Acrobat.exe
in Task Manager and reloading the PDF link, but now it happens very
frequently on every computer -- and my old fix never works.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? It just kills me to have to
keep switching to clunky IE to open PDF links!

Check in Tools - Add-ons Manager to see if there is a Adobe PDF plugin and deactivate it. Also, go into Adobe Reader and turn off updates.

And unless you have some love for Adobe Reader, uninstall and get the free Foxit PDF reader:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Is it possible to use Foxit PDF reader installed with (Adobe Reader installed and fully functionnal), just for testing ?