On 01/02/2013 08:54 AM, BIll Spikowski wrote:
WaltS wrote:
On 12/31/2012 12:53 PM, BIll Spikowski wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
BIll Spikowski wrote:
I'm a longtime Seamonkey user with multiple computers at different
locations.

They all run Windows XP and are set up identically, to open PDF links
in a new tab.

For the past week or two, each computer frequently has the same
problem. Instead of PDF links opening, I get a blank grey screen that
says "Check for updates... Click here to activate plugin." This used
to happen occasionally and could be corrected by closing Acrobat.exe
in Task Manager and reloading the PDF link, but now it happens very
frequently on every computer -- and my old fix never works.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? It just kills me to have to
keep switching to clunky IE to open PDF links!

Check in Tools - Add-ons Manager to see if there is a Adobe PDF plugin
and deactivate it.  Also, go into Adobe Reader and turn off updates.

And unless you have some love for Adobe Reader, uninstall and get the
free Foxit PDF reader:

I have no love for Adobe Reader, but I use the full Adobe Acrobat
version 9.5, which is listed as a plug-in in the Add-ons Manager. If I
disable that, do you know what will happen? Is that decision easily
reversible?

I hesitate to turn off Adobe updates, given the dire security warnings
they keep providing!

I'm normally happy just to experiment, but when it comes to the
interaction of Adobe Acrobat and Seamonkey, it's a complete mystery to
me, and I've learned to hesitate tinkering with a PDF setup that
finally works for me...

I would think this also applies to SeaMonkey.

Adobe Reader 9.5.1 and below was blocked in October 2012.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p156>

I don't know why anyone would continue to use READER 9.5.1, when a
free upgrade to 11 is easily available, as are numerous competing
products that many people prefer.

But I'm using the full Adobe Acrobat 9.5.1, not Reader 9.5.1. I think
SM is confusing the two. Acrobat 9.5.1 is updated constantly; it's not
the latest version, but it's hardly obsolete, or unpatched as to security.

I think you've identified the source of my problem -- that SM thinks
I'm using READER 9.5.1 and is blocking it "for my own good."

Understanding that should help me find some solution....

The full Adobe Acrobat 9.5.1 doesn't come with a reader plugin,
and you have none showing in SeaMonkey under Tools > Add-ons Manager > Plugins?

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit) KDE 4.9.4
Thunderbird Release