Daniel wrote:
HenriK wrote:
On both my and my wife's PCs, we have used SeaMonkey since it first
became available.  On my wife's PC, running XP-Home, fully updated,
SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
latest Java update also installed itself the same day.

When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
account to be set up.  Other than the missing e-mail menus, everything
else in SeaMonkey seems to be working properly.  This situation reminds
me of a previous SeaMonkey upgrade where the bookmarks files went
missing.

As I go back to the MS-DOS days, I looked at the hard drive file
structure and it looks like both the e-mail and bookmarks files are, in
fact, still sitting on the hard drive in their proper positions.

1)  Can someone explain to me in simple language what may have gone
wrong?

2)  Can some kind soul tell me in a step-by-step 'fix it for dummies'
style how to get the e-mail working again?

3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.

Henrik, first off, in SeaMonkey have a look at Tools->Switch Profiles
and select "Default".Does your missing profile stuff show up now??

If not, having found your mail and bookmarks files (you are aware that
you bookmarks and other stuff are now stored in a file called
places.sqlite aren't you??), you can make yourself a new profile and
point it at these found files, e.g., if you found your bookmarks file at
something like C:\Documents and Settings\Seamonkey\profile\bookmarks and
your emails at C:\Documents and Settings\Seamonkey\profile\mail\inbox,
what you want to do is set up a new profile at C:\Documents and
Settings\Seamonkey\profile\

Go to Tools->Switch Profiles, select Manage Profiles and Create Profile
and, on the second screen, call it "TWO" (or whatever) and then click on
"Choose Folder..." and make your way to C:\Documents and
Settings\Seamonkey\profile. Click O.K. and, hopefully, it will pick up
you bookmarks (places.sqlite) and mail profile and away you go......

Hopefully.....

Thank you for your insights. The 'switch profiles' idea didn't work because there wasn't a default profile, only my wife's profile. While it was listed, trying to select it didn't do anything.

I didn't know about the 'places.sqlite' so thank you for the pointer. I do know where all of the mail files are located.

I am a bit confused when you say 'make yourself a new profile', but I believe I understand your instructions and will try to follow them shortly.