HenriK wrote:

If I understand your suggestion correctly, you are telling me to
have a 'standard' profile stored somewhere so it can be used to
create a new profile whenever this problem reoccurs.

Not quite.  What I referred to as "standard" is the profile I normally
use for all versions of SM under both Win and eCS-OS/2 - yes the same
physical files.  "Recovery" is just setting Profilemanager to use that
set of files.  And since I have all data in their own trees, away from
the apps, nothing that an install, overwrite or delete of the app does
can effect data.

And, do keep copies of the profile and mail somewhere else. There are multiple ways to make a mess of them, and it is nice to be able to back to maybe last week rather than start over.

I still don't understand how SM v.2.15 managed to lose its connection
to the existing profile

I have never seen SeaMonkey lose an e-mail profile during an upgrade
-- and we have been using SeaMonkey since it evolved from the Mozilla
Suite.

But it does seem to be at least a weekly occurrence on this list. One other thing, I never use the EXE "installer". I always get the ZIP distribution, unzip it to somewhere I want it, create a shortcut referencing Profilemanager, and try it. New distros don't always work. I don't discard an app or OS until I am happy with the replacement.

Ray