Ray Davison wrote:
HenriK wrote:

SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
latest Java update also installed itself the same day.

When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
account to be set up.

BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!!

Put the profile(s) in their own tree away from the app(s).

Put the mail files in their own tree away from both apps and profiles.

Give your profile(s) names that are meaningful to you.

The name and location of all the above as well as apps is arbitrary. Put
them where you want, name them what you want.

Create a shortcut that has the target in the form of:
X:\SM214-Win\seamonkey.exe -Profilemanager
When you activate that shortcut a menu of available profiles will open.
  After adding or replacing a Mozilla product the profile you have been
using will probably be on that menu.  In the event it is not, select
create new profile, and set that "new" profile to use the sub-directory
that contains your standard profile.

My mail files started life in Netscape.  I have used this system since
then.  To lose mail I must loose a partition, not just do a simple app
change.  And I have had as many as twenty versions of SM, on the HDD,
using the same profile when I was looking for the date/time of a bug
insertion.

Ray

Thank you for your suggestions. I still don't understand how SM v.2.15 managed to lose its connection to the existing profile but maybe that is not important.

If I understand your suggestion correctly, you are telling me to have a 'standard' profile stored somewhere so it can be used to create a new profile whenever this problem reoccurs. Other than losing the bookmarks several upgrades ago, I have never seen SeaMonkey lose an e-mail profile during an upgrade -- and we have been using SeaMonkey since it evolved from the Mozilla Suite.