On 11/12/2013 12:25 AM, Dennis wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 11/12/13 8:10 AM +0900, goodwin wrote:
On 11/11/2013 09:54 AM, HilsB wrote:

HilsB wrote:
Yes it does - if anything a little faster.
A few bits of advice - 1) backup everything 2)Close down all
programmes 3) allow a few hours.

academic question only - what does allowing a few hours do and where
does it do it?

not a mac user nor SM...

Backing up your system and then doing an in-place upgrade will take "a
few hours", same as with Windows or Linux. That is, if Linux has evolved
enough to actually do in-place upgrades. (Not that I'd do one; I always
do a clean install and then migrate my profile from the existing backup.
That takes even longer.)

If "in-place upgrade" is supposed to mean an OS upgrade like say from
OpenSuse 11.4 to 12.0 or 12.0 to 12.1, then yes, 'linux' has been able
to do that for years! OpenSuse calls it a distribution upgrade. And it
surely doesn't take a few hours!!! With a good cable internet connection
it only takes 45 min to an hour. Download the DVD and it only takes
about 15 min for the upgrade then another 15 minutes for misc packages
not on the DVD. A clean install is even faster, just backup then keep
the same /home directory! Absolutely painless!

Dennis

make that "... 11.4 to 12.1 or 12.1 to 12.2 ..."

Dennis

I always do a clean install of openSUSE (not OpenSuse) when a new version comes out. My /home is on a separate 1TB drive.

Looking forward to 13.1 when it is released in six days.

Maybe it will even have SM 2.22 in the updates. SeaMonkey is the only Mozilla based application I install from openSUSE.