jim wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:47:16 +0900, Trane Francks <tr...@gol.com> in
mozilla.support.seamonkey wrote:

For what it's worth, I find that pasting into an HTML mail often gets
the font 'stuck' in preformat mode and I have to consciously change back
to body text. Maybe related?

When you paste something into your email, your next line will assume the
same font and attributes (if html email) of the paste object.

When i know i am going to paste a bit into the email, i often will type
"X" on several times and paste into the middle of that so that my font is
unchanged when i start keying the next line under the paste object.

Good strategy.

It seems to matter what formatting attributes are placed on the clipboard by the sending application. For example, I often work with MS Access and MS Word, and if I copy/paste field contents from Access into Word, they take on the attributes of the surrounding Word context. So I can paste the same bit of text in a bold context and get bolding, and then paste it in an italic context and get italics. Access apparently does not put any formatting attributes on the clipboard (except of course that when copying multiple cells fro a table, it includes the table structure).

For SeaMonkey/Composer, some source documents seem to provoke application of the Preformat paragraph style, while others do not. An easy way around this is to do Insert | HTML and paste or type your text into that dialog. Since it will contain no tags, the text will take on the formatting of its surroundings, and it will not affect the formatting of the following text.

Of course, if you want to retain the source document's format in the quoted text, your strategy is easiest.

Paul B. Gallagher