Daniel wrote, On 29/08/2014 11:47:
On 29/08/14 04:11, Ray_Net wrote:
Daniel wrote, On 28/08/2014 14:21:
On 28/08/14 21:01, Ray_Net wrote:
Daniel wrote, On 28/08/2014 11:05:
HP 6730b laptop dual-booting Win7SP1 and MandrivaLinux 2009

Last night, I was using my Win7 system, update anti-viral/anti-malware
and noticed that a SM2.29b1 was available so clicked on ....

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.29b1/contrib/

and selected the 37MB download. My network meter indicated that I did
download a considerable amount of data, but I've got no idea where it
went, as I didn't get the small screen which gives me the choice to
Open with..... or Save File.

Tonight, in my linux incarnation, I do get this screen so can select
where I want to save the file to.

Why didn't I get the choice in Win7??

(Follow-up set to m.s.seamonkey)
Right-click on it - then use the "Save Link Target As ..." choice.

Yes, I  could have done that, but .....
a)    I didn't have to Right Click in Linux, it gave the little
screen, and,
a)    something did get downloaded in Win7, as it was, just that I
couldn't decide where to save it (so I could then move it to my Linux
install.)

I gave you the steps to fulfill your requirement -

No, Ray, you didn't solve my problem, but you did provide a work-around.
please follow it -
and Don't expect that windows will work like a Linux machine - and
vice-versa.

Ray, I would *never* expect Linux to behave like Windows, but I would expect SeaMonkey to behave like SeaMonkey!!

"I couldn't decide where to save it" --- Why did you not be able to save
the file in your prefered directory ? Is it so difficult ? If the
directory you want is not present, create it.
Simply like that.

"I couldn't decide where to save it" because Windows didn't give me the option to save it to a particular place, it just started saving it somewhere.

Neil has given me a setting to check, so I'll check that and report back.

OK, i understand.
I have checked ... here in my SeaMonkey under Windows the neil idea:

In Preferences - Browser - Downloads there's an option to automatically save to your last downloaded folder. You need to change it back to always ask you where you want to save files.

And i have "always ask" option checked.

You said: "I would expect SeaMonkey to behave like SeaMonkey"
Perhaps your SeaMonkey options under Windows are not the same as your SeaMonkey options under Linux. That would explain why your two SeaMonkey did not work exactly under thei respactive os.