On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 01:15:17 -0300, Alexander Yudenitsch wrote:

Sorry, but that doesn't cover my main problem which, as I said, is that:

when I compose a large message with parts in English and parts in
another language, and make several drafts: Each time the draft is
re-opened for further editing, parts of it have been changed by SM,
usually changing some non-English characters into gibberish (Not
Unicode!); what's particularly puzzling is that the same character
may be changed in some parts of the message and not in others, and
where/when this happens seems almost random.

I assume there must be some 'automatic processing' going on (like the
"auto-detect" above), but see no way to turn it off; I have tried
changing all the above options to "unicode", or to "English", but
nothing seems to help...

This seems to ba relatively recent problem:  In the past, I rarely
noticed this; but, since these messages have gotten longer, and are very
frequently re-drafted, parts of them (and only PARTS, which I find even
more mysterious) turn into gibberish (and not boxes, or stuff like ,
or even "крякозябры" -- a mouthful!).  An example:

"ç" might become "Г§", or even (with repeated drafts) "ГѓВђ
“В§"
(I'm not kidding!!)

I mean:  If I can write "ç" when composing (like I did right now), and
just save the draft and re-open it, the reason for the gibberish
shouldn't be the font, right?  I normally write and send messages with
these characters without any problem (as far as I know: Usually, no-one
complains), it seems to happen only with very long messages which mix
English and another language, which is why I suspect that SM 'guesses'
each time a draft is saved -- and, oveerr dozens of 'saves', it gets it
wrong part of the time.

For a relatively long time, I was able to stop this behaviour by always
choosing the "View | Text Encoding" before opening these drafts (and,
many times, when I forgot to do that, gibberish appeared) but, lately,
even when doing that, the gibberish still appears, and gets worse with
each 'save':  Perhaps there have been some 'tweaks' to SM's "encoding
guessing" algorithms?

Go to about:config [^1][^2] and make sure that the preference mailnews.force_charset_override is set to false.

What you describe will happen with your own drafts when mailnews.force_charset_override is set to true.

SeaMonkey does not need to guess the encoding of its own drafts. SeaMonkey writes the encoding in the "Content-Type" header of the draft. When you re-open the draft, SeaMonkey will recognize the encoding from the "Content-Type" header UNLESS the preference mailnews.force_charset_override is set to true.

The only way in which I can make SeaMonkey not recognize the encoding of its own drafts is to set mailnews.force_charset_override to true.