Paul B. Gallagher wrote, on 10 out 16 17:49:

Alexander Yudenitsch wrote:

A happy coincidence that you decided to do so, since I already had
the intention of writing you, to ask for details about your migration
of SM from XP to W7 -- but let's leave that for a little later, OK?

I can't promise to remember the details of what I did so long ago...

IIRC, I upgraded the OS from XP to Win2000 while SM was already
installed, and it just ran without further action on my part. And then I
did the same thing again when going from Win2000 to Win7.

But don't quote me -- it's been over a decade, and I can't swear that
I'm reembering correctly.

I distinctly remember someone on this forum commenting on how he (yes, it was a 'he', AFAIK) had migrated a profile from XP to W7, and I thought that was you; well, apparently not... I did try to find that message among the hundreds of the 'current' batch but, not remembering what was the 'nominal' subject, I guess its hopeless.

Don't you mean that you "upgraded the OS from W2K to WXP while SM was already installed, and it just ran without further action on [your] part"? After all, XP came after 2k (which came after W95, all of which I used in turn)... And, yes, going from W2K to WXP was nearly effortless (as I remember, the main difference was that instead of a WINNT directory, we had a WINDOWS one), but I think you misremember: The directory structure in W7 is quite different from the WXP one (although they did add 'link-like directories' so you can use old-style addresses.

I made a 'trial install' of SM in W7, just to see where it'd put its files, and they seem to be 'all over the place' -- but I'm still learning the ropes concerning this, which is why I'd like to know exactly what others did, migrating SM from XP to W7.

BTW, I think my SM profile has accumulated several glitches over the years (it's basically the same one since Netscape..): Lately, I've been having problems (apparently involving javascript) on some sites, which work fine on a copy of FireFox I installed for exactly such cases -- so, I was thinking about creating a fresh new profile in W7, and then migrating what I need, and reinstalling the extensions which work better that way, but I'm afraid I'll never catch all the 'ramifications' (eg, there are extensions which place their data in "about:config", which I only recently discovered), so I"m undecided...

--
Thanks beforehand for your attention, and I hope to hear from you soon.

s) Alexander Yudenitsch   <ale...@postpro.net>