Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 25-01-17 19:09:
Bret Busby wrote:

It is really quite a simple matter.

If a person sending an email message, intends to show respect for
the people expected to read the message, the message will be sent in
plain text format.

If the person sending an email message, intends to show contempt for
the people expected to read the email message, it will be sent in
other than plain text format (unless, it is explicitly requested to
be sent in other than plain text format, by all the people who are
expected to read it).

As you've already shown, not all senders are alike, and not all recipients are alike; their needs and preferences differ. One size does not fit all, and the contempt you perceive based on your personal needs and preferences is not necessarily the attitude of the sender.

Specifically, formatting features were developed (long before the computer was invented) as a way of conveying useful information such as emphasis. Book titles and foreign words were routinely italicized for a long time before we figured out how to do that with computers. Headings were routinely bolded and enlarged for a long time before we figured out how to do that with computers.

I have many correspondents that are put off by the stone-age approach of plain text, and they feel honored and respected when I send something that is easier to read even if it costs them an extra penny or two a year. In this forum, I honor the local convention and send plain text, but elsewhere I live in the 21st century.

YMMV. Mine, too.

+2