Daniel wrote on 20-04-17 11:38:
On 20/04/2017 2:26 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
Richmond wrote on 19-04-17 10:58:
Ray_Net wrote:
Danny Kile wrote on 18-04-17 17:37:
J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
Google is doing incorrect user agent sniffing. If you user prefbar or
another user agent switcher and change the user agent to a plain
Firefox one for google it works. Please complain to them.
FRG
That was it - thanks. UA override added, complaint filed.  -JW
I override my UA with:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/45.0

This resolved the problem thank you to all that replied. To whom did
you file the complaint with? URL or address would be great.

Thank you
Therefore SM must use this UA as the default one - THEN WE NEVER
ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS !

I disagree with that, because it would not be correctly identifying the
browser.

Who's care ? Nobody knows SeaMonkey - and they don't want to know ....

Tell me WHY SM must identify itself as SM ? .. when a lot of SM people
change the UA string reflecting ONLY as Firfox.
If the default UA string will be "Firefox" only...
A. There is no need to fiddle changing the UA string.
B. All site sniffing wrongly ... will work correctly.

AND

Due to the fact that:
1. Webmaster checks only for IE,Google/Chrome, Opera and FireFox but
NEVER for SeaMonkey
2. And due to the fact the coding for SeaMonkey Must be IDENTICAL for
Firefox.
SM must present his browser as a Firefox browser.

Hey, Ray, if you are in favour of SeaMonkey giving up the battle with self-identification, I'm guessing you also agree with the Basque peoples giving up their battle for self-identification!!

What about the French-speaking, mostly Walloon population, of the Kingdom of Belgium?? Should they just join the Dutch-speaking, mostly Flemish community, which constitutes about 59% of the population of Belgium?? Or should they fight, fight, fight to become part of the French Nation?? Or become a totally independent nation like the Basque peoples fought for so long for??

Same Same SeaMonkey!!

The language problems are different.
If I follow your idea, I should change the UA string from:
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46
to:
User agent: SeaMonkey/2.46

That IS a REAL self-identification.

Test it, and you will be surprised :-)