Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Danny Kile wrote:

Daniel wrote:
On 20/04/2017 6:45 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Actually, I didn't. You should have deleted that attribution line when you deleted my text, to make it clear you were quoting Daniel.

Yeap!! Long time ago, I came across the saying "When you do
something, do it once, do it well, and move on!"

Sort of been my motto!

If web sites were correctly coded, or sniffed correctly, these
problems would not be a bother.

So maybe you can tell me this why do they need to sniff at all? Why
do they need to know whose browser is used. Make the website work
with all browsers, is that not possible?

It's possible, if you understand W3C compliance standards. But too many web designers think they have to write different code for different browsers, and if that's your assumption you need to sniff.

It's a result of Mosaic/Netscape vs Microsoft browser wars from 20 years ago. MS knew better and built Windows-only extensions into early versions of Internet Explorer and (deliberately?) mis-implemented other "standards". Windows fanbois loved these and used them willy-nilly.

If you wanted to develop a cross-browser website you HAD to /browser/ sniff - because this also predated the idea of rendering engines.

One commnon sniffing JS code was developed, anyone who was interested in cross browser support used it.

Eventually web standards incorporated many of these extensions (around the time of HTML 4, and specially HTML 5), but the rot had set in ... and who goes back to rework old code that still works (for various values of work).

Innovate in haste, live with the consequences at leisure :(

djc
[who has vague memories of copying sniffer code in the late 1990s, and being pissed off that it was necessary]