joegw...@comcast.net wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:10:32 PM UTC-4, Chris Ilias wrote:
On 2017-05-26 7:16 PM, joegw...@comcast.net wrote:
> I just installed SeaMonkey 2.46 on my 27" iMac under MacOS 10.9.5, and have
gotten SM to mostly work, but there are some problems:

> 1.  My ISP requires a password to post email to the SMTP server, but I have
not figured out how to enter such a password.  An email client that cannot post
email isn't much use, so one assumes that there is a solution.  In this case, I
knew that I had not been able to enter a password, but I won't be that lucky in
the future.

When you attempt to send a message, SeaMonkey will prompt you for the
password. There will be a checkbox to remember that password. It's the
same password manager used in the browser.

It isn't happening.

> Use as a newsgroup reader is also greatly hindered, because one cannot sent
email replies, or save copies of postings as emails to self.

To send an email reply, control-click on the message, and select "Reply
to Sender Only". There's also a small arrow beside the Reply toolbar
icon, that will let you choose whether to reply in the newsgroup or to
the sender only.

To save a copy of a newsgroup article, you can either:
* drag the message to any mail folder
* control-click on the message and select "Copy To"
* On the menu bar, go to the Message menu and select "Copy To"
* Add the "File" toolbar icon to the toolbar, and click on it to copy
the message to a folder.

Solves the wrong problem.  I want a method to automatically save copies of
everything I post.  Any method that requires me to unfailingly remember to do
something is doomed.

Click on Edit> mail & newsgroup account settings > (such as) news.mozilla.org > copies & folders Check "automatically place a copy on (select folder). Mine are saved in Local Folders. They are automatically sorted by year sent.

> 2.  Is there a log file that records the chit-chat between SM and the email
and/or news servers.  This is essential for troubleshooting problems like why my
attempts to sent email never complete.

I think there is, but I can't find the preference right now. Hoping
someone else can look it up. :)

> 3.  While I have no problem changing the font size in the body of messages
and postings, I have not found a way to change the size of text in such things as
the list of messages; this makes SM very difficult to use an a large
high-resolution display.

Try the instructions at <http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/mailnewsfaq/PaneText>.
I haven't tested that in years, so tell me if it doesn't work.

I'll try this.  As I mentioned in a separate email, Zoom only affects the
message bodies, and not icons, list entries, et al, defeating the purpose of
Zoom.

Thanks,

Joe

--