Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Firstly you have never said if this was POP3 or IMAP mail. This is
very significant because it determines *where* the email is actually
stored.

If is was POP3 then the actually messages would be located on your
hard drive in subdirectories under Mail within your profile directory:

Enter "about:support" in the browser url bar

Under "Application Basics" find "Profile Folder" and click "Open
Folder" button.

There should be a "Mail" subdirectory. If you are restoring your
backup to the correct location all your POP3 accounts would be there
with names like mail.example.com or pop.example.com

I use POP3. I was told a long time ago that using IMAP removes all the mails from the server once they are download to an email client.

There's nothing in the Mail subdirectory except what is already on the machine. I can't get any email to download except what was download after installing SeaMonkey initially.

Thank you for your help. I'll see if I can get my old machine stabilised and use that instead of the new machine.

Lil Sparrow